Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fruit, glorious fruit!

I know I already discussed fruit, but I still can’t help but be flabbergasted when I see the offerings of the variety of fruits in the market. We’re not talking the street vendors that sit behind their little displays of fruit and usually convince me to buy way more than I originally planned on. In my amazement I purchased a kilogram of starfruit for only 5 bs (that’s approximately 66 cents!). In one sitting today I consumed in a span of 10 minutes, two large perfectly juicy sweet white peaches, three figs, a bowl of cherries, and a prickly pear. What a gastronomical treat! It seems that during this summer season, one fruit after another are seemingly in season and just as you get tired of one fruit, another one catches your fancy. For example, awhile back I was caught up on the mangoes and papayas, then that turned into cherimoya and peaches, and now I am discovering the other realm of figs, grapes and cherries that can also be purchased. Just to take stock of the fruits that can be bought right now to illustrate the variety that can be found, I am making a list for you in categories.

Everyday fruits: bananas, apples, oranges, lemons, grapes, peaches, nectarines, pears, plums, strawberries, raspberries
Semi-exotic: papaya, mango, figs, pineapple
Exotic: cherimoya, starfruit/carambola, prickly pear, paqui, passion fruit (maracuya)

The fruits I don’t see around here very frequently would have to be kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, grapefruit, cantaloupe/honeydew/canary melons, and lychee (although dried kiwi that have been processed in Bolivia can be found in the supermarket).

No comments: