Thursday, November 15, 2007

I Sat on a Wasp.

So I experienced my first wasp/bee sting tonight. I was getting ready for bed ready to crawl into my little travel mosquito net and I opened up the side and sat down on the bed when I felt a sharp pain in my right buttcheek. Yes, that was because I sat on a wasp like creature that stung me…I have no idea how it got INTO my mosquito net but I definitely crushed it (although not to death) when I sat down and was getting ready to swing my legs into the net. When I got up I saw a little wasp like creature squirming inside of the net (at least it’s what I thought a wasp would look like but not that yellowjackets that take over decks in the U.S.)…I assume I’m okay since it’s not a vinchuca that could give me a deadly disease like Chagas and I don’t feel my airway closing up yet so I’m not allergic (although are people only allergic to bee stings and not wasp stings?) So after I got up and noticed a characteristic sting mark with puffy surrounding not unlike other bug bites except more painful…and then I proceeded to take my copy of Life of Pi that was on the nightstand and smother the wasp to smithereens for the next 5 minutes between the book and mattress. But it wouldn’t die. Surprisingly…since I thought the mattress was pretty darn hard, this is not even close to my lovely pillowtop mattress that everyone I know that has slept in it loves so much. So I took my copy of CultureShock! Bolivia and put that on top and smothered it a bit more. And then jumped up and down on it for a bit. Still not dead. Finally I gave up and uncovered the wasp and took the edge of my book and applied all the pressure to the little point where he was squirming and killed the little sucker. Too much excitement for one night I think. Tomorrow I’m off to the Cancha (which means field in Spanish but it’s also the name of the big open market in Cochabamba) to buy a new mattress since the one I currently have is rock hard and smells like dog breath since the volunteer that left it to me let her dog sleep in bed with her. At one point I was considering getting a pet…but after I lost the cat that I was asked to cat-sit for this week (just by putting food out in a bowl for it…unsuccessfully the dog ended up eating all the food I put out) and then I can’t stand animal fur and smell…I’ve decided that the Dog in my middle name is all for show and I really don’t like pets. That and small children too. I think we’re in trouble here. Not sure how this life plan to have kids is going to work. Anyways, if anyone wants to send me a pillowtop mattress that is wasp free and some say…1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets (or flannel does just fine for me too), a down pillow and down comforter…it would be much appreciated. Thanks. And if not, just freaking…umm…yeah. Okay, I’m outtie. Night night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

do you really want sheets? i can send some...they should be less than 4 lbs, right? let me know. and since when did you become a down pillow person?