Friday, March 6, 2009

Gender: Male, Female, or Handsome Man?

So I gave my sophomore students an assignment to fill out a biography card with general data and the answers to a few questions. There were a few choice jewels hidden among mostly generic answers. My favorite had to be the card of a student where he put his gender as "Handsome Man" and went on to say that the one thing that makes him different from others is the following re: everyone's fave football star. "Most of us hope themselves have Beckham's face. However, for me, I don't want to have this kind of hope because everyone says to me: 'Beckham looks like you.' This is me." Yes, ladies and gentlemen, somewhere along the line Beckham became Asian. A few other notes of what makes a student different from others: "I think I'm a beautiful and fair maiden," "I'm fat and quiet," and "I'm good at thinking!" Classic.

I also went to a lunch today (something related to Women's Day and the teacher's union) where there were the usual rounds of toasts with beer. Of course, the men like trying to get you to chug a glass of beer with them, but what I realize is that as much as they like testing you to see if you drink, I like throwing it back in their faces and taking a sip and refusing the demands of "gan bei" until they give up. Headstrong independent American women, don't mess with us. We know that you think all Americans can drink a lot of beer and that we enjoy it, but if we don't want to, we won't. Muahaha. I win. I don't mind drinking some beer every now and again, but I don't particularly like doing it at lunchtime, especially when I have an afternoon of studying for the GMAT ahead of me. I particularly enjoyed one man's faulty logic that said I was obligated finish my glass of beer because China gave Tuan Tuan and Yuan Yuan (the pandas) to Taiwan. Right.

3 comments:

LL said...

you go, strong independent american woman!!! 

did you set a test date? i might try studying for something else now, too, blah.

hope to see you soon!!! =)

Karen said...

OMG! jOY you've got to take a picture of this Asian Beckham look-a-like! lol! and I KNOW you can chug a beer, you should've bet him money that you could do it faster than him and taken all his money!

Joy said...

test date is set - april 9! impending doom! ha, like...lsat? mcat? haha, what else is there to torture yourself with out there?

fyi - the guy doesn't look like beckham (mainly bc beckham is not asian IMO)...but i guess i could be mistaken? haha, i don't exactly check out the students in my class :)